I already have written a tutorial related to extrude feature you may want to read it for more explanation. Extrude tool in creo elements can perform alot of your desired model design.you can make same part with different method in creo elements pro.like you can use surface feature or extrude surface feature for simple design the basic uses of extrude feature are listed and explain below.
- Solid protrusion
- Thin protrusion
- Solid cut
- Thin cut
You can use above options with extrude depth tool which are defined at the end of post.
- Through Next
- Through All
- Through Until
- To Selected
Let’s take overview of each of above step by step.
Open creo elements formally pro engineer and make a new file for solid part with your desired name. in my case I name it as Extrude. In main window select the “front plane” and click at sketch button. In sketching window make a square with length 100 units as shown in fig1 and press “OK” button to return to main window.
Now click at extrude tool. The program will automatically generate “Solid Protrusion” just as shown in fig .2 and extrusion menu will look like as shown in fig 3.you can see active buttons are highlighted in fig2. now press ok button this will complete first exercise.
To make surface extrusion you only need to the make a little change in extrude tool menu. Just click at the surface tool in extrude feature menu and set the extrude depth.see the highlighted buttons in extrude menu in fig 4
To make a thin or thick walled part Just click at “Thicken Sketch” tool under extrude feature menu set the thickness of the wall and click ok you can even the direction of thickness using invert tool ie outward,inward.you must notice what buttons are active in fig.5
Solid cut & Thin Cut
Both of these can be practiced by the method that we use for solid protrusion and thin protrusion with the a little addition of “cut” tool. To make these just click at the “remove material” tool before clicking ok button
For practice click at the surface of solid rectangle and then click at “sketch” tool. in sketching window make a circle as shown in fig the press ok.
Now click at extrude tool select solid or thicken tool from extrude feature menu and click at remove material. Your part must be look like as shown in figs below. now press ok and you done.
for solid cut your part will be like as shown in fig below
for thicken you will see this kind of part in this tutorial
You can make use of depth tool to specify the depth of protrusion or cut w.r.t some specific plane or surface.
The depth tool options are defined below you may use them to specify the depth of extrude w.r.t some reference. all options are listed according to the image at right side.
- Blind – Extrudes a section from the sketching plane by the specified depth value. Specifying a negative depth value flips the depth direction.
- Symmetric – Extrudes a section on each side of the sketching plane by half of the specified depth value. Negative values are not allowed.
- Through Next – Extrudes a section to the next surface. Use this option to terminate a feature at the first surface the entire sketch profile reaches. You cannot use datum planes as terminating surfaces.
- Through All – Extrudes a section to intersect with all surfaces. Use this option to terminate a feature at the last surface it reaches.
- Through Until – Extrudes a section to intersect with a selected surface or plane. You can use any part surface, datum plane, quilt composed of several surfaces or another component in an assembly.
- To Selected – Extrudes a section to a selected point, curve, plane or surface.